Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 3, Hour 15

Today, I wanted to get back to the list of biographies I am compiling for the inductees. So far I have added 1-3 sources for almost every person inducted in 1986 and most of 1987. However, I am still having a difficult time narrowing down which biographies are "better" than others. Since this is a brand new library and we are going to need to acquire basic sources first, I need to know which are the most important to get for right now. I imagine that the librarians will also be working on a limited budget, so selection will be important.

The most important thing I must focus on, especially since I am currently enrolled in the Selection and Acquisition of Library Materials course at Kent State, is to choose items fairly and intelligently. I do not intend to censor or reject certain items, and I know this can be a difficult topic to consider. Not having any experience in collection development until now, I believe this practicum is going to prove extremely valuable in helping me to develop a keen eye for quality and a discern for the most important materials.

That being said, I would be interested to hear ideas from others on how you would choose the "best" sources on certain artists. Keep in mind that sometimes, the list of biographies for one person can reach up to twenty; I am trying to keep the titles I add to the list at under three per person.

Coming up next: I will continue to research policy and procedure to get a working idea of how patrons will use this very unique library.

Thanks for reading, and have a good one!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment